Appeals – Transfer to Secondary School Year 7 September 2018
Provided a valid application to join Wallington County Grammar School has been unsuccessful and you have not been offered a place at our School, parents/carers have the statutory right of appeal.
A valid application to Wallington County Grammar School constituted of:
• your son must have reached the Wallington County Grammar School pass mark in the
Selective Eligibility Test, and
• you must have named Wallington County Grammar School on your Common Applicaton Form (CAF)
Please refer to the dates timetabled dates below, but in the first instance you must contact the school in writing to request an Appeals pack (this can be done only from National Offer Day on 1st March 2018 when you know if you have been unsuccessful in being offered a place at Wallington County Grammar School). An Appeals Pack will include a covering letter, an Appeals Information sheet for Transfer to Secondary School and an Appeal Against Admission Form for you to complete and return along with any supporting documents.
This appeals pack MUST be requested in writing & the form completed and returned along with your supporting documents by no later than midday on Thursday 29th March 2018 by Midday. This is the deadline for parents/carers to lodge an appeal.
When returning this form and supporting documents to the school, please send it to: The Clerk to the Appeals Panel (c/o Wallington County Grammar School) who will then convene an independent Appeals Panel to hear all appeals.
As stated on the Appeal Against Admission Form, any evidence or supporting documentation submitted less than 2 weeks before the appeal hearing, or brought in on the day, may not be considered by the panel.
Timetable for Appeals for 2018 Entry into Year 7 (Transfer to Secondary School)
- Contact the School to request an Appeals Pack - this can be done from 1st March 2018.
- Returning your completed Appeal Against Admission Form & copies of any supporting documentaton The Appeals Form and copies of any supporting documentation must be completed and returned to the School by no later than Thursday 29th March 2018 at Midday and should be marked for the attention of the Clerk to the Appeals Panel.
- Please only provide relevant supporting documentation in support of your son's appeals hearing. Documents such as sports certificates, reading achievements or behaviour certificates cannot be considered in support of your appeal so please do not include them in your supporting documentation.
- Notice to Appellant of Appeal Hearing - you will be contacted by the Clerk to the Appeals Panel and given at least 10 school days notice of when your appeal will be heard. Appeal hearings are arranged by the Clerk to the Appeals Panel who is independent from the school, and he/she will appoint an independent appeals panel to hear the formal appeals.
- When will my appeal be heard? – Your appeal will be heard between April and June 2018 (no more than 40 schools days after the deadline to lodge all appeals) and definitely no later than Monday 18th June 2018. You will be informed of your appeal hearing date in writing.
- Notification of the decision – This will be within 5 school days of the appeals hearing wherever possible and you will be informed of the outcome of your appeal by the Clerk to the Appeals Panel.
- Decisions made by the Independent Appleals Panel are binding.
Mid-Term (on in-year) Admission Appeals
Provided a valid application to join Wallington County Grammar School has been unsuccessful, parents/carers (and the student themselves if applying for a place in Sixth Form) have the right to appeal against this decision. This is normally once your child has sat an entrance test (if this is applicable) and is found to be, or not to be, of selective ability.
Please contact the school in writing to request an Appeals pack. This Appeals Pack will include a covering letter, an Appeals Information sheet and an Appeal Against Admission Form for you to complete and return along with any supporting documents. This MUST be returned to the School by the date specified and marked for the attention of the Clerk to the Appeals Panel.
The deadline for receipt of appeals information and supporting documentation will be documented in your covering letter posted with your Appeals Pack.
The date your Appeal will be heard and when the outcome of your Appeal will be communicated to you, will also be documented in your letter but will be a maximum of 30 school days after your mid-term appeal is lodged.